WAS - Duluth, MN
This Ship-to-Shore station served the bulk-carriers and freighters on the Great Lakes and particularly on Lake Superior. I personally know very little about it and cannot remember ever hearing it.
The June 30, 1939 FCC Annual Report indicates that the initial license for WAS had been granted during the past 12 months. Frequency allocations above 3 MHz were approved during the FCC fiscal year that ended June 30, 1941.
Former home of WAS - Taken by John Harrison Late in 2005 -
This building was white in the WAS days.
WAS Station Location in Duluth
Albert E. Klopp, W0QXI (SK) started with Lorain Electronics (main office was in Lorain, Ohio) in Port Washington, WI in 1940. He was an operator at marine radio/telephone station station WAD. He transferred to Duluth, MN in 1944 and became manager of Radio Station WAS. WAS was located on Chase Ave. and Hollister, in the eastern part of Duluth and not far from the city limits. There were three operators that worked at the station and one serviceman (Jim Scott (SK)) who took care of equipment on the boats. After the last boat arrived or left Duluth in the winter, the station closed until spring. The station closed permanently in 1979. After that all Lorain Electronics manually operated stations became automatically operated remote stations. Whenever there was a problem, Al had to go to one of the remote stations around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. Al retired in 1980.
The picture at the right shows Al at the
position - ca. 1950? Photo courtesy of Al and Doris Klopp.
photo of the former WAS operating console
was photographed in 1996 or 1997
by Mark Karney, N9JWF at the (now closed?) museum
near the Two Harbors, MN lighthouse.
Notice that there is some similarity to the 1937 operating room
Perhaps it is the same equipment moved from to Lorain to
the Lorain station expanded in the '40's or maybe they built identical
setups for all three stations? The 50's Al Klopp
has the Hammarlund receivers just like the 1937 WMI photo. The
Hammarlund receivers are gone in this photo replaced in the
rack by six receiver channel strips from their maritime units.
change was made at WMI. In the 1954 WMI photo
there are many Hammarlund
receivers in the equipment rack on the right. In the 1955
photos, all but two of the Hammarlund receivers have been removed and
eight receiver channel strips installed.
Here's a link to the WMI page which also provides more information about Lorain Electronics, the owner of this station, WAS and WMI.
Some of the WAS Crew and Their Recollections
|Melvin (Mel) Werking||Manager||1941? - 1944|
|Edward Ansell (ex W9PSA)||Operator||1943 - 1945|
|Albert E. Klopp, W0QXI (SK)||Manager||1944 -1979|
|Walter Clayton Toms W0PIH (SK)||Operator||1944 - 1979|
|Dorothy Wolf (SK)||Operator||1946? - 1979?|
|Lloyd Horton||Operator||1943? - 1945+|
|Dale Grimwood (SK)||Operator||?|
|Jim Scott||Technician||1943? - 1945+|
Dorothy Wolf usually worked the night shift and had a wonderful on-air voice. She had kind of a fan club going and when she would sign the station off in the evening usually an anonymous caller would chime in "Goodnight Dorothy".
Can anyone contribute more information about this station?
Except as noted here most of the site's content is in the public domain.