credit and thanks must be given to James T. Pogue, KH2AR who furnished
the original photos, much text and the WJG QSL Card for the WJG
pages. Much of this material first appeared in the September
1989 issue of Monitoring Time Magazine. It would have been
very difficult to get this site started without Jim's contributions.
KPUM 1947 photograph is from the book Towboat River and is used with
the permission of the surviving author, Louise Rosskam.
QSL letter, NML QSL Card and WUG-2 photos and Radio Telegraph
article are courtesy of
James T. Pogue, KH2AR.
- The images of the WMI
operating room and most of Lorain Electronics gear images are courtesy
of Robert Carver.
- An anonymous female ex-WMI
operator contributed several WMI and LEC items.
of the WFN material is courtesy of Paul Hise, AA9GY.
thanks to Tom Drake, W4IWH who has supplied numerous copies of
information from his collection - many bits and pieces of which have
been incorporated on the site's pages.
Widdows, W9VHN was very helpful with respect to the 3 Lorain Radio
stations and other Great Lakes Info. Dennis passed away on
August 26, 2006.
- Chuck Reynolds, WA8WUU has
contributed valuable information on Lorain Electronics and WCM.
of the images on the WAY pages are courtesy of Robert Weppler - Thanks,
- Many thanks to Lloyd Frye several WAY items
and for the MAFOR document on the Great Lakes page.
Klopp, W0QXI the ex-WAS manager, and his wife Doris have provided much
of the WAS information.
- Thanks to John
Harrison for his photos of the old WAS Duluth building and some
valuable contact info.
- A big thanks to Randy
Martens, AB8LO a last owner of WLC who was kind enough to send his
folder of material on the station.
to Jim Leow an ex-operator at WLC and Joe Olig a WLC fan who each
contributed a number of photos and other valuable material on that
- Ray Heimberger, W8TT
contributed valuable information about his time as a WLC operator.
Rutledge a last owner of WLC provided valuable information about the
- Jan Dullack an ex-operator at WLC
provided some good info. on the station personnel.
DeGregory, Jr. for material concerning his father's (and his)
time at WJG.
- Perry Williams, W1UED and John
Huntoon, W1RW both ex ARRL staffers cooperated to come up with W9PZ as
the ham call sign of Thorne Donnelley the founder of WAY,
- Thanks to George Munsch,W5VPQ
for his help with the AT$T maps.
- Ted Phelps, W8TP
a pre-WW2 laker RO, has provided many tidbits via regular Skype
- Tony Garofalo, the last manager of
WCM provided great information and images of that station.
Stars for Bob Ballantine, W8SU who provided much material
appearing on many of the site's pages.
Karney, N9JWF provided information about WMI (including aerial photos
& the 1938 QSL) & WAS.
- Bob Hope
who sent in photos of his father's taken in 1933 when he was a laker
- Jack Estes for information and
images from the early days of WJG and WFN.
Copeland, K4KCS for the recollections of his days at WJG in the late
- Frank Deedrick, K3SQP for much information
on the early days of WCM in Pittsburgh.
- Thanks to
Erik Vennestroem LA5KI
for some of the Hallicrafters material.
thanks to Mark Gartman for details about his father's ownership of WCM,
WGK and WJG and this own work at the latter two stations.
McClean sent some additional boat names for the WCM Schedule
page. Thanks Rick.
- Thanks to Max
who corrected the orientation for one of the WLC images, provided
several interesting clippings, and a number of pictures of the
Scott SLR receivers.
- Thanks to Don Arty (ex-WMI
op) for the names of other WMI operators.
Fretz supplied the picture of the Hallicrafters HT-14. Thanks
- The great photos of WCM's beginnings and
some other WCM material are from Gary Hummell, N3YEX - Many thanks Gary.
station location maps were generated using Microsoft Streets &
- David Ring, N1EA provided
2 RCA message forms for the WBL page. Thanks David.
to Jeff Yates for several QSL cards from the 1950s and 60s.
Gipson provided the obituary of WJG's Russel V. Warner.
- Thanks to John Heisner for the ID of his grandfather,
Don Heisner, in the 1937 WMI photo
- Daniel Gurzynski provided the 2004 photos that appear
on the WBL page. Thanks Daniel.
- Thanks to Patricia Reddin for the names
of four additional WJG crew members.
- Robert Nickels, W9RAN provided a
link to images of some recently-discovered old Lorain Electronics gear.
- Thanks to Jim Hay for the use of data from his 1986
Monitoring Times listing of GL VHF stations
- Jim Novak, WA9FIH provided information
about and photos of a rare USCG receiver. Thanks Jim
- We can thank Michael C. Martin for the first photos
and information about WAD, Port Washington, WI
- 1950s - 60s WLC photos and info. were
contributed by ex-WLC operator Tom Curtis. Thanks Tom.
- Information on WGK in the late 1940s to early 1950s
is courtesy of William B Hutchinson.
- Several articles and ads from 1940s Great
Lakes publications and a 1947 GL Radio Beacon Map were provided by Malcolm
Papworth (Joe), K8MP. The documents were
saved by his grandfather, Malcolm Rutherford
Papworth, and his father, Malcolm Victor
Papworth. Both worked on the lakes.
- Thanks to Ken Goodhue,
WD6AOB, for the photo and information on the RMCA TRP-141 USCG unit.
- Barry Heinzel sent a photo that his brother, Charles,
took of WLC under construction in 1941. Thanks Barry.
- Thanks to Mike Miser who provided info. on WAD and
WAS and a link to the 1969 LCA vs.
FCC split-channel law suit .
- Alex Holden, VA3AEX supplied a nice photo of the RCA
ET-8037 unit. Thanks Alex.
- Thanks to the Marine Historical Society of Detroit
for permission to use these clippings 1909
and 1911-12 .
- Bruce Spacer, WB8VCM provided a photo and info. on
RMCA AR-8514 Receiver. Thanks Bruce.
- Many thanks to Terry Miliczky, KB9IHU for 8 minutes
of WLC audio form the mid-1980s.
- Thanks to Mike Baker, Curator - Elgin County Museum
in St. Thomas, Ont. for the Marconi Sta. photo.
- Robert Mazur, VA3ROM, provided some great content for
the Canadian Stations page. Thanks Robert.
- Thanks to Bob Cooke, VE3BDB, for his info. and for
the link to his article on the
Canadian stations in 1969.
- Robert Grau provided the WFN report to the FCC on
RTTY tests. Thanks Bob.
- Thanks to Ian Marsh,
G4EXD, for his scans of the 1978 'Admiralty List of Radio
Signals', volume 1.
- John Dean provided the July 1958 Interlake Log and a
1954? Lorain advertising brochure. Thanks John.
- Thanks to Doran "Jeep" Platt, K3HVG for 2 photos of
the military version of the Hallicrafters HT-14.
- Many thanks to John Hankwitz for his 1963 photo of an
operator at the WAD control board.
Radio History's great magazine archive is the source
of several items on this site. Many thanks.
- William Hepburn - http://www.dxinfocentre.com Thanks for WLC LAWBE broadcast recording.
- Tkanks to Dave Zibrat W3VXT for some tidbits about his time during WCM's early years.
- Thanks to Bob Haworth KD8EKH for info on WLC's remote RX site and WLC photos
- Jim Bresemann, KF7LO, provided new WAY photos & info about the Highland Park operation. Thanks Jim
- Thanks to Charles J. Eckard for a 1952 article about some of RMCA's recreational boating gear.